Who is the family behind Open Range Pups:
We are a family of 8 living in Western Colorado. When Jason and I got married he was a Utility Helicopter Pilot. We lived all over the United States including; Alaska, Arizona, Kansas and Wisconsin. As we started to have children it became more and more important to us that we find a way to be home with our kids, both of us.
In 2010 we opened our Non-GMO feed company in Montrose, Colorado. We absolutely loved this business and the variety it provided us each day. We could both be home with the kids and go out and work on our own property and provide a living. As the feed company hit its peak we struggled to keep up. There was so much physical work to do each day and once the sun went down we our opened our computers and worked till all hours on paperwork and book keeping needs. As the years went on we were spending 18-20 hours a day, 7 days a week just to keep our business thriving. We lost our mission to be with the kids, we barely saw them and missed them dearly.
In 2012 my husband was working for our feed company and stopped into a local truck supply for some things he needed for our business. There was a poster on the wall of Annie, our Old English Sheepdog. A local breeder was looking for a guardian home for her. We met her, and fell in complete love with her. Her breeder had done so much work finding such a healthy girl with healthy lines to join our family. The breeder was a mini Goldendoodle breeder and had her property set up for a smaller dog. When Annie was there she was like "a bull in a china shop." The breeder ended up giving us Annie.
Not only did she give her to us, she took me (Dawn) under her wing for a full year and gave me an apprenticeship in her own program. She taught me how to be successful, she taught me how to do all the health testing, how to find the best dogs. She was and still is a complete God send to my family. Late in 2014 we were able to close our feed company and completely switch our sites to our dogs. As we had been doing both business during this transition period.
Now? Jason and I both work from home. We are so blessed to never miss anything with our kids. We work hard. Jason does all the dog training and I do all of the breeding and care. It is a beautiful thing to be able to go pick up my kids in the middle of the day if they are sick. We don't miss assembly's or sports games. We can both be there to raise our kids and that is priceless to me.
So in closing, we are the Scott family. We are not a hobby breeder, we do things right. We are 100% invested in our company and in our dogs and family. This is a great opportunity that we take absolutely seriously. You can trust in our family for a quality, beautiful and very loved dog.
For the last 5 years we have been pouring our energy and effort into developing the best and healthiest possible breeding program available. Our dogs are not merchandise they are loving family members and friends and they deserve the best life we can give them. The puppies health, vigor and longevity begin with genetic health through their parents, grand parents, great grand parents and so on. We are continually improving our standards for our breeding stock to include some of the top genetic health lines in the world.
Here are some of the factors we consider when selecting our breeding stock:
- Good or Excellent hips and elbows tested through OFA standards (or equivalent European standards) for at least 4 generations. Hip displasyia in it’s most severe form can cause loss of life in a puppy before 1 year, and mild forms of hip displasyia can make a dogs day-to-day activities extremely uncomfortable and may even require medication.
- We test each new sire or dam for genetic traits that are relevant to that breed which are common and most often cause difficulties during the dog’s life and may cut many years from an otherwise normal healthy dog.
- Such things include testing for Exercise Induced Collapse, Uric Acid Levels (kidney stones and bladder infections) and in our poodles we add Von Willebrands disease as it is very common in Poodles (blood clotting disorder) finally renal atrophy that causes the dogs to go blind. There are quite a few DNA tests and if you have questions as to what our dogs are tested for please feel free to ask.
- We also look at these genetic tests in the lineage of the stud or dam. Only about 10-15% of breeders in the U.S. have these records and done their due diligence. This is why we have had to seek some of the top breeders in the world to find our desired health requirements.
- To curb genetic difficulties we breed our females from 4-5 times in their lives (decided by our vet) and then they are fixed. This helps them to produce the best puppies during their peak reproductive season in life.
This is not a kennel, this is a home. We do not breed every kind of doodle known to man. We specialize in raising our dogs with love and in a family atmosphere. We specialize in health. There is not another place that provides the atmosphere and health that we provide our dogs. Our lines can be traced to the best in the world on both sides of the breeding. Our newest Old English Sheepdogs are sisters of the Royal Croft lines in Serbia and one of our poodle Studs is imported from Germany for his immaculate health. Anyone can breed a doodle, but only one can be the best.
We are extremely confident in our puppies and that they will provide you with the temperament that we adore and all of the amazing qualities that come with Old English Sheepdog’s and Poodles. Our puppies and our breeding stock are raised in our house with our children. The temperament is unmatched as they are raised like family.
The last aspect that we pride ourselves on is communication. We make it our job to be available to our customers on every level. We answer texts, email and phone calls all day long and answer any questions you may have. If you have a need, we are always willing to be there to help or find the answer that you need.
That being said we are now extending our standard health warranty to 4 years. We are the only sheepadoodle breeder that will offer our clients this opportunity. Our dogs are quality and we know your puppy will be as well.
We are confident that our puppy program is one of the top in the nation. We appreciate your business and we work diligently to provide your family with the quality puppy that we in enjoy in our own home.